Monday, June 24, 2013

An Attempt to Update+Clarify my Last Post!

Hello Everyone,

I haven't really found out anything since my last post, but I thought that this would be a good time to sort of clarify the things that I do know and fill you in on where I am in the process now since my last post was a bit rushed due to my excitement and tiredness. :) As of today, I know the name of the school I will be attending, the names of my first host parents, my first address, the name of my host club, the trips that I will take throughout the year around the country, and my arrival date and arrival airport. My school, as I mentioned in my last post, is called Centro Educativo "Las Cumbres," or, Colegio "Las Cumbres." I have found a little information on it on the internet, but mostly it is a mystery and I can't even locate it on google maps or mapquest. But, what I have been able to find out is that it's a private school that enrolls students from kindergarten to senior year (I'll be placed in senior year there, even though I would be a junior in the states), the school hours are 8:00 a.m. to 1:45 p.m., and I'll wear a uniform. 

I also found out a little about my first host family from my guarantee forms, which is that I'll have two host parents, Nino and Maria, and two host siblings, whose names, ages, etc. I don't know yet. I emailed them so hopefully I'll know more soon! However, I do know that I'll be living right in the center of the city with my first host family, which sounds like it will be very busy but also very cool and exciting; it's right on the river and I think that it will be a great location to start my year in. Next, I did a little research on my host club, Cuenca Patrimonio, and I found out that it is the newest Rotary Club in Cuenca and that they meet on Tuesdays. I sent emails to both my host counselor and host club president too so hopefully I'll hear from them soon too!

I'll also be taking many rotary sponsored trips throughout the year, which I am already looking forward to. First, in September, there are the Language and Orientation camps, which will cost about $380. Then, there is a trip to the ManabĂ­ province on the Pacific Coast in October, which is free because my host club will cover the cost. After that, there are the two optional trips to the Amazon Rainforest and the Galapagos Islands. The Amazon trip is in February and will cost $550, and the Galapagos trip is scheduled for late March/early April and will cost $1,300. These two trips are pretty expensive, so I'm not sure if I will be allowed to go on both of them yet, or if I will have to choose one (in which case I would choose the Galapagos I think). After those trips is the very last trip which is in May, and it's a nine day trip around the entire country. The entire cost is $700, but I will only have to pay $350 because my host club will pay half for me.  

Lastly, I may have mentioned this in my last post, but I know that I will arrive at the airport in Guayaquil on August 25 (with a slight tolerance of 2-3 days), so that means that I only have 62 days left before I leave (give or take a couple of days)! I'll know my exact departure/arrival date(s) soon when my airline ticket is issued, but before that happens I have to have my visa approved by the Consulate of Ecuador in Chicago. I sent all of my paperwork to my travel agent at IYWT a couple of weeks ago, and I think she'll be submitting soon if she hasn't already, so hopefully there won't be any problems and my visa will be approved within the next couple of weeks so that I can get my plane ticket. I still have quite a bit to do before I leave, such as purchase insurance, get vaccinations, buy luggage, etc., so I have a lot to get done within these next two months, but hopefully it will make the time pass by more quickly. I don't really have any specific plans this summer to do anything exciting before I leave, so time has been dragging on quite slowly already. But, I have the Ohio Erie Orientation soon, which is the final orientation before everyone starts leaving for their countries, in a couple of weeks from July 12 to July 14, so that should be fun. Hopefully I'll have some more information before that, but if not, then I'll update again after the orientation to let you all know how it went!


Until next time,


Stephanie

3 comments:

  1. Sound like you will be busy for the next couple of months finalizing everything for your trip. Everything is going to fall into place for you and you will be on your way before you know it. Aunt Kay and I are very proud of you and love you very much.

    Love Aunt Kay and Aunt Carie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps. Aunt Kay says to tell your dad to fork out the dough so that you can go on all the adventures offered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a super Blog, Stephie. Phenomenal details. Thanks so much. I have your Blog being sent to our e-mail so we can keep up with all that's happening with you. SO proud and excited for you. Hopefully you'll be able to take all the sidetrips. Our <3 is with you always. N&G

    ReplyDelete